Healthy Building Reentry
Indoor air quaility Monitoring
to Assure Healthy School Buildings
Remote Real-time Data for Healthy Schools.
After losing more than a full school year of in-person learning to COVID-19 protocols, awareness has risen about the importance of optimal indoor air quality in our schools. Poor air quality can cause physical sickness and affect cognitive functions.
View SGS LiveView:
Boston Public School Indoor Air Quality >
SmartSense cloud-based continuous monitoring system is now watching over one of the largest school districts in the U.S., serving 54,000 students in 125 schools. SmartSense is using an estimated 5,000 real-time measurement points, measuring CO, CO2, PM2.5, PM10, temperature and relative humidity. With SmartSense, you can help assure school buildings are healthy to occupy by investigating known or suspected air quality issues, in both indoor and ambient environments. Coupled with our network of environmental laboratories, we are the only company that can test the full spectrum of matrices including air, water and building materials, to ensure you have a healthy school building.
SGS SmartSense Real-Time Remote Air Monitoring:
The Solution for Healthy Schools
SmartSense has collected exposure data 24/7 for indoor air quality (IAQ), wildfires, perimeter and task monitoring, and other monitoring situations. And now, thousands of SmartSense measurement points are currently monitoring public schools, assuring the health and safety of students, teachers, staff and volunteers. SmartSense direct-read capabilities include:
- Particulate Pollution 10 (PM10) – any particulate matter in the air with a diameter of 10 micrometers or less (smoke, dust, acids, soot, acids, metals)
- Particulate Pollution 2.5 (PM2.5) – any particulate matter in the air with a diameter of 2.5 micrometers or less. (smog and ultra fine particles)
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) – using photoionization detectors (PID) to help detect unknown odors or fugitive emissions, and off gassing from building materials
- Carbon Monoxide (CO) – alerts occupants to potentially dangerous levels due to possible faulty heating systems or temporary generators
- Carbon Dioxide (CO2) – a key indicator of fresh air exchange in a room
- Relative Humidity (RH) – the amount of water vapor present in the air measured as a percentage. Ideal RH is between 30 to 60%.
- Temperature (°F/°C) – a normal room temperature range is 68°F to 78°F
- Ozone (O3) & Ethylene Oxide (EtO) – if used in air cleaner systems, can alert occupants to potential exposures
- Light & Noise – for comfort and ease of learning to prevent distractions from noise or eye strain from poor light
And when paired with the SmartSense, active sampling capabilities include:
- Silica & Airborne Metals – often from nearby construction infiltration
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) – identify and quantify concentrations down to the parts per billion
Complementing the air capabilities, our network of environmental laboratories provides testing of water and building materials. Relevant analyses include:
- Asbestos – important when dealing with older buildings as they undergo updating and renovations
- Mold – a concern in wet areas or where buildings have seen leaks due to age and lack of use
- Metals – including heavy metals such as lead in drinking water
- Legionella – occur in human-made water systems like building water systems and evaporative condensers
Why SGS SmartSense
How can we be sure the air our children breathe in school does not have the potential to make them ill? We have delivered precise, defensible data for over five decades to keep workers healthy and safe, and now, it’s about the children. SmartSense systems are easy to install and are unobtrusive to school occupants. Our SmartSense can help you:
- Conduct vapor intrusion studies
- Supplement traditional and regulatory defined monitoring methods with continuous monitoring data of site conditions
- Remotely and automatically capture physical samples for lab analysis based on continuous data trends, when combined with the SGS SmartSampler
- Provide a hyper-local network of monitoring points across an urban area for real-time assessments of air quality within Smart Cities programs
- Employ SGS LiveView, an intuitive, SQL-compliant web based relational database application for streaming real time environmental conditions, analytical data at one or more sites
And add on any of the water and building material tests to get a full picture of the health of your school building.
Need help or want to learn more?
Use the form below and our experts will get back to you with options that fit your situation.